Great information on Search Engine Journal about determining your best target market:
“Take the following into account when deciding how to run your email marketing campaigns, how to segment your mailing list, what content to include, when and how frequently to send, etc.
* Which products/services are they interested in?
* When do they use the internet, check their emails, have time to read newsletters?
* Would they prefer emails more or less frequently?
* What content would be most effective?
* What style of language would be most effective?
Tip: Ask your mailing lists subscribers to indicate their interests so that you can better segment your list for more effective mailings.
Even large, established businesses often fail to spend the time to properly identify and segment their target markets and then utilize this information in their online marketing activities. Lack of time is most often the main issue, but taking the time now to really get to know your target audience and how to effectively reach them will prove to be the best investment you’ve made in your business.”
Read more here.
Before you start your list acquisition plan, clearly define your target market.